My weak point was most definitely coding spend my than a third of the my time during the project trying to get background interactions working. And though I got it to work I still did not get the loop I wanted and had minor problems with my character flying. I also felt I only touched the surfaced with sound interaction. Finally my strongest point on the game development I feel was design and concept and I was very happy with end product on that point.
The background interactions were by far the hardest and time-consuming part of the assignment, since I didn’t initially understand how to match the actions script frames with the objects. It to me endless hours to understand my mistakes and fix them continuously till I got it to work. For my two interactions I had leaves that rustle as they fell blown off the tree and clouds that darken and blown away while crackling with thunder.
Having used the walk cycle figure provided in class as a reference having to start from for scratch creating the front view of the character was hardest part of the project design. I used the onion skin to help with getting my proportion accurate, I ended trying used symbols from the walk cycle but I had to altering them majorly so I would been the same time-wise if I create a new symbol.
I wanted a unstable hover since it match the theme of back garden experimentation, also if the character fly vertical like a super hero it wouldn’t look organic and make the rocket symbol useless. Most of the symbols I used were remnants of my walk cycle animated through positioning. I also the the leg movement to give the effect the character is trying to maintain balance whilst in-air mid flight.
My original concept for my background was have a urban setting with the flooring of the stage being rooftops, surround by towers at night. But I could not get the environment moving in the actionscript coding, and for this concept I felt the having a moving background would be more fitting. So I uncompromisingly scraped the idea and created a new one.
I started creating my walk cycle in class with the figures above then I created separate symbols for each body part in using the figures a reference. Which I went on to reuse and each time a frame was in thee same position. So for my walk cycle I approximately created a third of the symbols and edited a third for similar positions. Maximizing efficiency and making sure my character looks the same and proportional throughout the frames.
My initial idea for my game was to have a character walking an environment with his hands, since his legs a missing. With the aim of the game to find to his legs and the last background/character interaction was him dancing with his legs.
After been shown Flyguy in class I contemplated making another game so I can integrate flying mechanics into my game. Because I found it to be very effective for this type game (exploration). So after I came up with the idea to make a angel fly back up to heaven similar to Flyguy with less over-the-top background actions as Flyguy.
Another game I got inspiration from is Jetpack Joyride which is a mainly mobile/tablet arcade game, but I like the jet pack idea and thought I could use it in my game. With the character exploring a cityscape or urban area, maybe starting standing on a rooftop.